Group Therapy & Skills Training
There is power in numbers.
The ability to connect with others who can understand your experience firsthand and work toward resolution or understanding can be invaluable.
Midwest Counseling offers you the opportunity to work with other people in a small group to explore various issues andr learn skills to better understand and manage difficult issues in your life.
Midwest Counseling is currently offering these opportunities for group therapy and skills classes:
Yoga and Body Image Workshop Series
- When: Thursdays 6:15p-7:30p
- Cost: $230 per series (6 weeks of sessions)
- Description: Yoga offers you a space to integrate mind and body, build self-compassion and access your body’s own ability to self-soothe. Through gentle movement and journaling, we will explore concepts of courage, compassion, acceptance, truthfulness, discernment, and freedom. Participants are asked to bring their own mat and arrive in comfortable clothing that allows for easy movement. Other props will be provided. For any questions or to schedule an intake meeting for this group at please contact Amy Klimek, LCPC, CYT (312) 344-3936
Women's Recovery Group
- When: Fridays 12p-1p
- Cost: $25 per session
- Description: This group provides a space for women in recovery from substances to discuss important themes related to the recovery process. Each group will begin with an exercise related to topics on mindfulness, trust, self-compassion, love, sex and relationships, and MORE! Members will use the remainder of the session to process their reactions to the topic and gain support from the group. Members must have 30 days of sobriety before joining the group and be willing to complete a brief intake before beginning the group. For more information or questions please contact Alexis Sharon, LCPC, CADC (312-508-3873).
Eating Disorder Recovery Process Group
- When: Tuesdays 5:30p-6:45p
- Cost: $30 per session
- Description: This group offers a space where individuals in recovery from an eating to disorder can meet and support each other with this process. This is intended for individuals who are looking for ongoing support following intensive treatment or in conjunction with individual therapy and nutrition counseling. Group meets weekly to explore emotions, behaviors, and beliefs related to recovery. Additionally, the time is utilized to process the impact of shame, ambivalence, and judgments on self-worth and body image. For additional information about joining, please contact Mimi Neathery, Psy. D. (312-549-9686).
RO DBT Skills Class
- When: Tuesdays 6:15p-7:15p or Thursdays 5p-6p
- Cost: $50 per session
- Description: RO DBT offers a new approach to helping those struggling with disorders of overcontrol. RO DBT is useful for those who struggle with overcontrol: Inhibited emotional expression * Maladaptive perfectionism * Rigid rule-following behaviors * Social signaling, isolation,& loneliness. RO might be a good fit for the following: obsessive-compulsive personality disorder, OCD, eating disorders, Autism spectrum disorders , treatment-resistant anxiety , chronic depression, or maladaptive perfectionism.
For more information please contact Danielle Doucette, Psy.D. (773-999-9831).
DBT Skills Group
- When: Mondays 6:30p-7:30p or Thursdays 12p-1p
- Cost: $50 per session
- Description: In this weekly DBT skills group, we learn ways to increase relaxation, acceptance, and focus on the present moment (Mindfulness), tolerate difficult feelings/situations without making things worse (Distress Tolerance), reduce impulsive thinking and behaviors (Middle Path), deal with conflicts effectively and maintain/improve relationships (Interpersonal Effectiveness), and understand/manage difficult or intense emotions (Emotion Regulation). This group will be ongoing, with a new theme each month and opportunities to join, as space allows, every eight weeks. This group requires that members are also participating in individual therapy and able to commit to consistent attendance. For more information please contact Rose Metivier, LCPC (312-612-9398).